[tig] [gwelch at cintel.co.uk: Unappealing image quality?]

Rob Lingelbach rob
Wed Apr 14 17:54:18 BST 2004

this message was sent to me by Gary Welch of Cintel for my
approval; he wasn?t sure it would be ok on the main TIG
list, as it could be construed as marketing.  He feels and I
tend to agree that the information in the message is
important enough that it should be sent out to the group on
the main (instead of the ad-oriented tig-announce)
mailinglist.  Complaints should therefore go to me directly.

--Rob

----- Forwarded message from Gary Welch <gwelch at cintel.co.uk> -----

From: Gary Welch <gwelch at cintel.co.uk>
Subject: Unappealing image quality?
To: "'tig-announce at tig.colorist.org'" <tig-announce at tig.colorist.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:20:56 +0100

	It is very good to see the debate regarding film
grain and the various approaches to it's reduction that is
currently ongoing on the TIG.  So far there has been mention
of temporal systems working in realtime and spatial programs
that are non realtime.

	I would like to remind everyone there is a system
which is both realtime and processes individual frames
separately.

	This system was launched at NAB 2003 as an integral
part of the DSX film scanner. However at NAB 2004 this
technology will be demonstrated as a stand alone system
capable of SD, HD and Data.

	Obviously I cannot spell out the exact architecture
of the grain reduction techniques but suffice to say that
the algorithms are 'intelligent'. Intelligent in that they
are able to recognise the very 'nature' of the Film grain,
enabling It to recover the finer detail contained within the
grain structure, without softening the image.

	Regards

	Gary Welch
	Cintel Product Manager

----- End forwarded message -----