[tig] subjectivity (was: Da Vinci 2k EDLs)

Marc Wielage mfw
Thu Apr 15 01:02:43 BST 2004

On 4/14/04 9:07 AM, "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at colorist.org> wrote on the TIG
list:

> I?ve attended mix sessions for
> commercials that were similar to color correction sessions
> and maybe even more difficult or extreme in getting
> consensus among the clients...
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

I've been told several audio mixer/editors who are friends of mine that they
often envy colorists in the sessions we do.

They tell me that in an audio mix, any client in the room seems to think
they have vote as to the overall levels, EQ, and mix of the project.  Maybe
it's because everybody kind of has a handle on how audio works -- move a
lever up, things get louder -- etc.  There's also a sense that audio is
relatively easy (which is certainly not true, especially today).

But the mixers tell me that it's different in a telecine bay.  They believe
our clients are so intimidated by the array of scopes, monitors, readouts,
and buttons in the room, it's a little harder for them to express opinions.
Sure, they do it anyway, but neophytes are apt to be much more impressed by
the technology in color-correction than in audio.

An Oscar-winning mixer at Universal once told me, even he still gets mixing
sessions where some 23 year-old director will come in, get belligerent, and
tell him to "just shut up and make it louder."  So even the big guys have
the same problems we do in color-correction sessions.  And he also admitted,
"sound by committee" doesn't work very well -- just like commercial sessions
with six clients in the color-correction room.

--Marc Wielage
  LA colorist-at-large