[tig] b+w stock question

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Mon Apr 19 12:13:57 BST 2004

How about bleach bypassing the colour neg and make B&W from that?

Just a wild "try it and see what it looks like" kinda idea

From: tig-admin at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-admin at tig.colorist.org]On
Behalf Of Robert Lovejoy
Sent: 18 April 2004 02:51
To: tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: Re: [tig] b+w stock question

thanks to Pat Howley of MTI for supporting the TIG.
--

     I totally agree black and white stock has a completely different grain
structure than color stock.  It is still possible to mimic the panchromatic
grey scale and gammas using color stock.
     The grain itself is a personal choice.  I've had clients who were happy
and some unhappy with the b&w grain and contrast.  I'm not sure that stock
selection should play a major role in editing and composition, but it will
certainly influence the look.  Mono from color stock can easily look smooth
and silky, but to me b&w neg has always graphic and edgy.  Great if you're
going for that look, but in some instances having a wide contrast ratio and
relative smoothness of image might be preferable.
     In any case, most DPs know what they are doing and what to expect from
a given stock.  I for one am totally happy to transfer any piece of film I
can get, and will work to my best ability to help achieve the look the DP
envisions.  But I think there are advantages and disadvantages to b&w neg
and mono from color neg, and what's best will always depend upon the tastes
of the client.

Bob Lovejoy
Color apologist-at-large

--
Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com

Soho Images Film Laboratory Digital Post, 8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: (+44) 020 7437 0831  fax: (+44) 020 7734 9471 web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho 601 Images Film Laboratory Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.