[tig] Strange DigiBeta behavior

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Thu Apr 22 09:17:41 BST 2004

fyi

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Wenocur
Sent: 22 April 2004 05:27
To: Hollywood Post Alliance
Subject: [Post] Strange DigiBeta behavior

Hello crew,

I'm hoping someone out there (including a Sony person) might have some
insight into this recent discovery:

In the course of helping a client with a problem of audio and video
going out of sync on some dubs, we found that the Sony J3 DigiBeta (the
budget all-format player) appears to have a one-field delay in video vs.
embedded audio from the SDI output.  That is, if you play a tape with
perfect lip-sync, the embedded audio will be one field ahead of SDI
video (and timecode).  We proved this by making a series of successive
clones between the J3 and a DVW-500, then comparing the seventh
generation clone with the original.  The audio was 3.5 frames ahead!
There was no other equipment in the path.

Is this just a function of the low-rent J3?  We have not yet done the
same test with two DVWs, but I would be shocked to find the same result!
  I also don't yet know how AES or analog audio fares, rather than embedded.

Opinions or experiences???  Will NAB delay the responses?

Thanks,

-- Eric Wenocur
Lab Tech Systems

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com

Soho Images Film Laboratory Digital Post, 8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: (+44) 020 7437 0831  fax: (+44) 020 7734 9471 web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho 601 Images Film Laboratory Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.