[tig] This is very grey to me...

jeffh jeffh
Thu Apr 22 17:58:06 BST 2004

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/checkershadow.html

Some of you may have seen this before, or other things
like it; I just found this yesterday.  Look at box A, and
then box B.  They look like they are different shades
.
but in fact they are not - they are identical.  If you believe
me, proceed to paragraph 2.  If you do not believe me,
save the pic, and open it up in a paint program.  Select
and move a part of A into B, or vice-versa.  See?
Alternately, hold your color dropper tool over box A and
see what color is displayed (Jasc?s Paint Sho Pro has
this; I am sure other programs do as well, tho I am not
sure if the ?dropper? would be called something else).
See what RGB value is displayed; I get 107 107 107.
Then hold the tool over box B (try to keep away from the
edges) ? the same 107 107 107, right?

So, my question is: why?  Why do both boxes appear
different when they are in fact the same?  What is making
my brain perceive the boxes as different ? and better yet:
how do I get my brain to stop doing that!?!??  <cough>
It is not the prescence of the letters ?A? and ?B? ? if I crop
each box, and paste both into a new image, they now look
the same, thus proving that the letters are not causing the
boxes to appear different in the original image. Nor is it the
prescence of the cylinder ? removing it, or altering it?s color
does not change anything.  Therefore, I am figuring it is not
the boxes themselves, but the SURROUNDING boxes ? but
what gives?  Why would the shade of any of the surrounding
boxes affect how others are perceived?

And from that, comes two questions:

1.  If the board were oriented differently, would this affect how
the brain perceives the boxes?

2.  How about looking at the same box in real life as opposed
to on a computer screen ? would that make any difference?

Anyone who can properly explain this will be owed a night of
heavy drinking
.