[tig] runaway personnel

Dave Pickett dave.pickett
Mon Aug 2 20:16:00 BST 2004

Michael has a distinctly economic analysis which I admire, especially rare in our line of work.  Lets dig up New York Times articles in the 1920's lamenting the new phenomenon of Hollywood as its establishment vaudeville talent, writers, producers etc were attracted to a freer economy in California not yet bogged down by its own weight.  The weather was predictable and the geography mulitfaceted and ideally suited for filming.  It is now a simple opportunity cost decision to utilize other markets to generate the same profits that created Hollywood in the first place.  The great show biz gods did not just ordain LA as the promised land, economics did.

Good for you Michael and all the others.  The competition is good for the industry.  Top post in America has migrated the way of Microsoft and AT&T.    Was that Auckland and Vancouver giggling a little?

Dave Pickett
Senior Colorist
Finish - Boston