[tig] "runaway" personel

sklein54 at earthlink.net sklein54
Wed Aug 4 14:53:09 BST 2004

I'll just go ahead and say it. Most people in our industry, if asked to name the ONE main artistic center for making
film and television product would say Los Angeles. Many extraordinary craftspeople
thrive and excel on other continents but the understanding is that the highest budget
projects are finished in L.A. and shot in the best ACTUAL locations for the storyboards.
New York for New York, Paris for Paris, Toronto for New York...ooops.
Alot of finishing business has migrated out of the Southland in the last 12 years for financial reasons but I see alot of out of town work that won't color or mix outside L.A. Where do the best sound people, the best composers and
the actors with the highest quotes have a primary residence? These people travel for work and then come back to L.A.
(insert extensive list of examples to the contrary here please)
That's why the business climate has allowed the payscales to be higher in L.A. Pay is higher cause the competition is stiffer and the craftspeople have to be BETTER. I wouldn't even dream of saying that some of my L.A. partners travel out of town to color at other city's post houses in countrys that have lease buy-back deals cause the film's directors need them doing the color. In fact I'm sure I just made that up.
Hey, how many of our community's top colourists would feel like like they made a real step up in career flexibilty and development by moving out of Los Angeles? 20 years later I still see established talented artists relocating here to be in the industry center of L.A.
I have to respectfully contradict Mike. It's not as good outside Los Angeles. The studio and network execs know it but the incentives & exchange rates make it work and it's "good enough" for them on alot of projects. There's no such thing as "runaway production". It's just another part of the market segment.
IMHO there's room for everbody that's willing to go the wood-shed and do the work to be on this island.
And a 4 hour delay is only when it's not peak traffic time.
I'm putting on my pyro suit now.
p e a c e

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Orton <mike at orton.com>
Sent: Aug 2, 2004 10:05 AM
To: david gibson <davegibson1971 at yahoo.co.nz>, tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: [tig] "runaway" personnel

thanks to Jim Lindelien for supporting the TIG.
--

Folks,

Just to add to the runaway production debate and stir the pot.. David
has an excellent point. For studios to run away to a place like New
Zealand, Australia or Canada, the quality of work there has to a *at
least as good* as that available in Hollywood, then the financial
incentives have to be in place on top of this.

IMHO, the problem is that we may have priced ourselves clear out of
the market here in California. Look at house prices and salaries here
compared to many other places in the world, apart from maybe London.
There is also a certain hubris, I believe, that other people cannot
possibly do what we do here.

I'm using the world "here" in its loosest sense, since in exactly 2
weeks' time, I'm moving to Auckland in all honesty to participate in
exactly that runaway production scene. I have two thoughts for you:

America's prosperity is a result of free unfettered competition, ask
any econ 101 student. There were a triad of anti-trust laws passed
here that we never duplicated anywhere else in the world. This is how
the country became an economic powerhouse. We are now seeing this
competition happening on  a global scale. Get used to it.

There are places in the world that do not have 4-hour delays on the
405 freeway, or dont require enormous police presence to allow
shooting. These are simply competitive advantages for the other
places I mentioned. Is California's star on the descendant? Hardly!
But there is significant competition and it can only ultimately
strengthen the industry, as it did the US economy.

Mike Orton

--
CTO Oktobor/Silverscreen
Wellington, Auckland, Sydney

http://www.oktobor.com

"No race, country or individual has a monopoly of good or evil"

- Winston Spencer Churchill

--
Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.