[tig] runaway personel

sklein54 at earthlink.net sklein54
Tue Aug 3 20:01:21 BST 2004

that's willing to go the wood-shed and do the work to be on this island.
I'm putting on my pyro suit now.
p e a c e

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Orton <mike at orton.com>
Sent: Aug 2, 2004 10:05 AM
To: david gibson <davegibson1971 at yahoo.co.nz>, tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: [tig] "runaway" personnel

thanks to Jim Lindelien for supporting the TIG.
--

Folks,

Just to add to the runaway production debate and stir the pot.. David
has an excellent point. For studios to run away to a place like New
Zealand, Australia or Canada, the quality of work there has to a *at
least as good* as that available in Hollywood, then the financial
incentives have to be in place on top of this.

IMHO, the problem is that we may have priced ourselves clear out of
the market here in California. Look at house prices and salaries here
compared to many other places in the world, apart from maybe London.
There is also a certain hubris, I believe, that other people cannot
possibly do what we do here.

I'm using the world "here" in its loosest sense, since in exactly 2
weeks' time, I'm moving to Auckland in all honesty to participate in
exactly that runaway production scene. I have two thoughts for you:

America's prosperity is a result of free unfettered competition, ask
any econ 101 student. There were a triad of anti-trust laws passed
here that we never duplicated anywhere else in the world. This is how
the country became an economic powerhouse. We are now seeing this
competition happening on  a global scale. Get used to it.

There are places in the world that do not have 4-hour delays on the
405 freeway, or dont require enormous police presence to allow
shooting. These are simply competitive advantages for the other
places I mentioned. Is California's star on the descendant? Hardly!
But there is significant competition and it can only ultimately
strengthen the industry, as it did the US economy.

Mike Orton

--
CTO Oktobor/Silverscreen
Wellington, Auckland, Sydney

http://www.oktobor.com

"No race, country or individual has a monopoly of good or evil"

- Winston Spencer Churchill

--
Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.