[tig] Re: UCLA Students Need Colorist in London

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines
Sun Aug 8 15:05:20 BST 2004

Chip writes:

>>We are using a new process for IMAX film (15/70) where all of the shot
design, camera moves, composition and coverage for the movie are all being
created in telecine by the colorist by zooming into the negative, later the
final version will be transferred back to 35mm.  <<

But doesn't that mean all your moves are in 2D space, and will look a lot
more like stills shot on an animation stand???  That Oxberry look!  So 1966!

Don't mean to sound like a luddite, but this seems to me to be a use of
technology to go backwards.  Sounds like filmmaking for those who are afraid
to commit to a decision while shooting, and therefore would rather cover
their asses and make decisions in post.  But a telecine zoom can't move the
camera's eye a foot to the right, or arc around a subject.

This reminds me of a post I put up on the tig about five years ago, on April
1st, about CBS deciding to shoot all their shows in IMAX with a single
camera and then have a video cameraman shoot them off of a large IMAX
screen -- meaning a sitcom could be shot in a single take with one camera in
a fixed position.  (It was a joke -- even the worst multicam sitcom is
better than this would have been.)  Perhaps someone read it and took it
seriously? ;-)

I'll try to dig it up and repost it.

But to me this seems like you are using IMAX for the silliest possible
reasons.   I can see doing this as a trick -- like a music video a few years
back that kept zooming in on a wide frame of an outdoor party and finding
different things of interest -- sort of forensic telecine.  I can imagine
doing this to one frames akin to those huge Ruben's paintings in that big
room at the Louvre, with lots of different things happening in the same
frame... but to make this interesting one would really need to be
deconstructing something in a fixed frame of reference.

To use it just to extract different frames from a wide frame, rather than
shoot it that way in the beginning, seems crazy.

But then again, what do I know.

Best of luck -- let us know when this film can be seen.

Jeff "born under a luddite moon" Kreines