[tig] Help with calibrating a Sony CRT monitor did you get my first E mail??

Robb Cadzow rcadzow
Mon Aug 9 19:15:25 BST 2004

...and as Mike o stated ambient light is everything. We use the ~.8 for
grey since we have lots of rooms with lots of different artists and
ambient light levels. Its a good starting point, final brightness needs
to be tweaked based on room and lighting. Its an interesting
observation to check monitors in the AM and again in the PM with your
eyes first and meter second. If there is any sun light in the room you
will see "eyeball drift" .

On Aug 6, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Martin Euredjian wrote:

thanks to Jim Lindelien for supporting the TIG.
--

> I use 35fl for 100% white and ~ .79-.8fl for 20%

In general terms this the sort of range that I think everyone has been
using
for years.  However, this specification does not, and should not, exist
in
the dark (pun intended).  There's a requirement of an appropriately
setup
and calibrated viewing environment to go with the monitor calibration.
You
can spend US$45K on a monitor and US$20K on the best colorimeter and
screw
the thing up nicely by not ensuring that the viewing enviroment is
proper.

SMPTE RP166 is a starting point.  As I have been doing a lot of work in
this
area lately I must say that I am now of the opinion that RP166 is
somewhat
outdated.  The replacement must take into account such things as color
appearance models --some of which is not easy to quantify.  Having said
that, RP166 is --by far-- preferable to rooms I've seen, where the work
is
done in nearly absolute darkness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320
fax: 661-775-4876
martin at ecinemasys.com
ecinema at ieee.org
www.ecinemasys.com

--
Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.

Robb Cadzow
R!OT Santa Monica
730 Arizona Ave Santa Monica CA 90401