[tig] HD telecined TV shows and film data

Rob Lingelbach rob
Thu Aug 19 23:44:58 BST 2004

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 05:16:01PM -0400, john.pytlak at kodak.com wrote:

> How do you feel "The Honeymooners" kinescopes look today?

amazingly and interestingly artistic!  it helps that the performances
were theatrically prodigious.

> But, if you are interested in the long
> term value of a special motion picture property to be shot today, history
> suggests that film has significant advantages.

has there been any work done recently on the idea discussed by a few
of our colleagues (Jim Fancher for one) regarding the use of film as a
data archive medium?  where the frames contain not images per se but
encoded representations, which given the proven durability of film,
can be used as archives 100 years hence?

-Rob

--
Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, coadmin