[tig] tig posting

Christopher Noellert chris
Thu Aug 26 19:38:31 BST 2004

On 8/25/04 11:12 AM, "Gary Welch" <gwelch at cintel.co.uk> wrote:

> thanks to Jim Lindelien for supporting the TIG.
> --
>

> First of all I would like to point out that there are many, many owners of
> C-Reality/DSX that have made their purchase decision after carrying out
> similar tests on the scanners currently available. I would encourage this
> trend.

As would I.  God knows it's horrible to be in the field and find out
something isn't what you thought it was...

> I think in many ways that comparing a 'Datacine' (A data capable Telecine)
> operating at between 6 and 15 frames per second (as the DSX does) with
> others, that operate typically at around 2 - 4 SECONDS per frame is quite
> difficult.

I don't think so.  You have film.  You have a scanner you look at the
pictures that come out of both.  Essentially for the task we're discussing
"Data" and the level of quality of the output it's not a rough call to make.
It's funny because this the argument you usually hear when price gets
brought up as an issue - then you always get the same line "It's not fair to
argue price because this does so much more"

> The original question from Rob was regarding stability. The 'superior'
> stability of a traditional slow scanner is because it  utilises a Pin
> register system as opposed to a continuous motion system. It seems a little
> unfair to be too critical of stability when there is a 30 times speed
> differential to be taken into account!

Then the price should also be take into account - as well as the cost to
maintain.  Saying that it's unfair is a little strange as well.  Cintel goes
on the market and sells machines as data scanners against companies like
Filmlight and Imagica and a major part of the sales argument is speed.
Saying that we're shouldn't compare stability is the same as me saying that
we shouldn't compare speed because the pictures that come out on the other
end aren't as sharp, color rich or stable as the pictures that come out of
the Northlight.

The raw fact of the matter is that Cintel and Thomson are in a market now
competing against Filmlight, Arri and Imagica for sale.  These machines are
being put head to head all of time, not just for the sake of a sale but also
in real world production - not really a time for the apples and oranges
argument.  Customer will say, "Why does it take longer to scan in the
Northlight." and you answer them truthfully:

"Because it's better.  Better to the point that it deserves the extra time"

Everything is fair game as far as I see it.  All kit has pluses and minuses,
the trick for the potential purchaser is to know what they need, can afford
and would like to have (and in that order.)

> Please note that Pin register systems are available for these 'datacines'
> that will give exactly the same results as the slower scanners. This in turn
> however, slows down the frames per second output to about 2 seconds per
> frame.

Does Cintel or Thomson make a pin reg 16 gate?  I shudder to think of
running a S16 show in the Mil2.  We have enough issues with a 30 sec spot.

> It seems that most people we have talked too would rather rattle the data
> through at near real-time in the vast majority of projects but maintain the
> ability to PIN as and when the material/requirements dictate.

Most clients we have have saif exactly the opposite.  They would rather have
a pristine, stable, dmin measured digital neg after the scanning stage.  In
their minds there doesn't seem to make any sense cutting corners from the
get go.  But those are my clients in our little country.

> Gary Welch
> Global Customer Support Manager
> Cintel International Ltd.
> Watton Road,