[tig] New PEC's

Dave Corbitt dcorbitt
Thu Dec 2 15:19:08 GMT 2004

At 09:08 PM 12/1/2004, lunarfilms wrote:

>I am thinking of replacing the PEC's in my turbo I was assuming that the
>hamamatsu part numbers which are in there are the ones I want to replace
>them with, is there any better suggestions for replacements?
>
>The Hamamatsu part numbers are
>
>R2154  (2)
>R3356 (1)
>
>I think the way my machine is setup the Green and Red are the same and the
>Blue is different,
>
>Fairly standard?
>
>-Rob-

That's not the way they usually are. I think you have the model numbers
mixed up. The usual numbers are R3256-02 in the Red and Green sensors, and
R2154-02 in the Blue. In my work on those machines in years past, I never
found an advantage to using the R2154-02 in the Blue channel. In fact, the
2154 is spec'd as a scintillation counter PMT and has a fixed gain first
dynode. There is no signal to noise advantage to this in a telecine, just
higher gain. These PMTs can overload on high lights because of that fixed
gain first dynode so be careful. The better choice is to use the R3256-02
type in all three channels, you eliminate the risk of blue channel overload
when you use a brighter CRT or more efficient lens which can occur with an
R2154-02 in the Blue channel. The -02 suffix indicates an HA  coating
(anti-reflection) to increase efficiency slightly.

Good luck

Dave Corbitt
Post Logic NY
http://www.postlogic.com/