[tig] HiSpeed data camera

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Fri Jan 9 09:29:48 GMT 2004

I've been giving this some more thought. Martin, I don't think the question
of 24/25/30 fps is quite right. The only beer to be poured at these speeds
is Guinness. Normally, Guinness is poured at 30 fps, Guinness Extra Cold is
poured at 25 fps (allows more time in the cooler). The only public houses
that serve Guinness at 24fps are those in Ireland. The one and only
exception to this is 'The Toucan' in Carlisle Street which, as it serves
(probably) the best pint of Guinness in London, pours at 23.976.

I think the main issue is whether the beer is being poured (in Steve's case)
with drop or non-drop frames. This is an interesting point as (unlike the
108 frames per hour we are all used to) the number of dropped frames per
hour is directly proportional to the amount of beer consumed (Peter Swinson
could interject here with a formula). Additionally a session would normally
start with non-drop and progressively (NOT interlaced) sway towards more and
more dropped frames. I suggest a discussion is started which argues the
proportion (and probability) of beer frames dropped on the shirt, compared
to the bar.

Maybe Steve could talk to his contacts at Quantel and ask them to fund a
research project on this? I'll book the Fuller's brewery for this, as there
are over 1000 TIGgers.

I also would hope that Mike Orton already has a suitable LUT available?

Jeff Booth
Five minutes walk from The Carlisle
London

;-)

Soho Images Film Laboratory Digital Post, 8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: (+44) 020 7437 0831  fax: (+44) 020 7734 9471 web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho 601 Images Film Laboratory Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.