[tig] DVD-Ram and DEVA

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Tue Mar 2 13:03:33 GMT 2004

OK you asked for it.

Imagine the scenario - the film is shot at 25fps with audio on DAT. The
location sound recordist thinks "hey, we're posting in NTSC so that means I
should record a timecode rate of 29.97, 'cos that's how it's transmitted".

Initially, the information from the production department is that they will
edit in PAL, cut the neg and do the final TK in the US. After shooting has
started, they decide that as Joe Z Editing in LA has offered them a cheap
deal (and I apologise to Joe Z editing in LA if he exists) and so they
decide to edit in NTSC.

How the hell does the post house sync the audio? If you try to sync in TK,
then all will be a disaster as the current TK systems assume film in the US
is shot at 24 with 30NDF audio timecode.

This has happened to me in the UK. At the time, the Aaton InDaw system was
not able to do this. One email to their software guy produced a fix in four
days (and two of those were a weekend). Worked perfectly 1st time.

For starters, the Aaton system doesn't CARE what timecode framerate is on
the DAT. It automatically creates (whether you like it or not) both Flex and
ALE files. It can also create a full flex/ALE, together with a flex/ALE of
just the circled takes. If you put 3 line VITC in the VBI (or in HD, the
VANC), it will read this code and add the KeyCode for each take in the
Flex/ALE.

It will import audio from DAT, 1/4" (you have to put the audio through an
AtoD first), DEVA, Fostex PD6, Nagra V, HHB Portadrive (although I am still
waiting for HHB to send me some files to confirm this) and of course the
Aaton Cantar.

AatonCoded film is a breeze. Arricode is also supported. The InDaw will
chase the 3 line VITC (either in SD VBI or HD VANC) from TK.

As I have said before, I use Aaton because it is the best. Yes, they've
bought me the occasional beer, but that in itself wouldn't make me use their
kit!

Jeff Booth
Soho Images
London