[tig] Analog to digital: Borders?

Sebastian Sylwan liste
Sat Mar 27 20:36:33 GMT 2004

When you pass through a computer you're effectively using pixels that have
a (pixel) aspect ratio of 1:1

In digital video pixel aspect ratio is slightly less than 1,1

I'm not sure i understood your question entirely, but my guess is depending
on how your pc hardware deals with the capture, you may not be taking the
pixel aspect ratio into account. If you stay in video (as a transfer
medium) you don't have that problem.

Hope this helps

At 14.36 27/03/2004, Andreas Wider?e Andersen wrote:
>thanks to Hans Lehman for supporting the TIG.
>Hi all!
>I have a question: When I scan films on an FDL-60 and output to a DV tape,
>then capture the footage into a computer I get a black border on both sides.
>When I capture a filmframe shot with an optical scanner with a DV camera I
>get the whole frame filled. See these examples (720x576 pixels):
>Super8 frame from DV camera:
>Super8 frame from FDL-60:
>Why is this?
>Norsk Smalfilm <post at smalfilm.no>
>Tel:    (+47) 38 17 99 16
>Fax:    (+47) 38 02 33 84
>Mob:    (+47) 90 92 61 21
>Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
>or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.
>For contributions see http://tig.colorist.org the "make a donation" button
>at the bottom, thank you!.
>believed to be clean.

Sebastian Sylwan                                Lumiq
Chief Technology Officer                        Tel. +390115697300
sebastian at lumiq.com                             http://www.lumiq.com