[tig] FILM-DIGITAL Projection Comparisons In Los Angeles

Bill Hogan billhogan1
Mon Mar 29 12:09:41 BST 2004

For those in the Los Angeles area the following will be interesting.  Just show up.  No
reply is necessary.  Below is self explanatory.  Compare Original Camera Negative to first
generation answer direct from the camera negative with the same negative scanned at 6k on
a Northlight Scanner and down rezed to 2k.  Color correction of the digital files was done
on a Lustre (Colorfront) system and will be projected on a 2048 x 1080 pixel DLP
projector.  Both Full Frame and Split Screen images will be presented.

Addtional information can be optained at the screenings.
Location: 6433 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90028-6203 (Old Pacific Theatre)
Phone: 323-463-3255

Regards, Bill Hogan
American Society of Cinematographers and Digital Cinema Initiatives will
provide demonstrations of the StEM material at the USC/ETC Pacific theater
on Monday March 29 and Tuesday March 30.

This is one of the few times the film/digital comparison will EVER be
presented. We will have open times on both of these days for anyone that
wants to attend.

Monday 12noon, 2pm, and 4pm
Tuesday 9am, 11am, 2pm, and 4pm and a 7pm showing.

Please invite all interested parties. It is a great demonstration!

Reservations are not needed, just show up and see who is there with you!

Jerry Pierce for DCI/ASC Tech committee

LOS ANGELES, CA  ? Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) has completed
post-production work on the Standardized Evaluation Material ("StEM"), which
will be used for a wide variety of digital cinema testing programs.  The
"StEM", or "Mini-Movie" project was a collaborative effort between DCI and
the American Society of Cinematographers. The "mini-movie' is now available
in several formats to other companies and organizations to use in a wide
variety of compression, projection, transmission and other test bed
"We expect this DCI test material will be widely used by vendors and
standards organizations from around the world for years to come,? said Walt
Ordway, DCI?s Chief Technology Officer.  ?We feel that with the completion
of this project, DCI has made another significant contribution to furthering
the ?digital future."
"Our purpose is to help DCI assure that standards recommended for digital
cinema enhance the movie-going experience and maintain the integrity of the
art form," said Curtis Clark, ASC, Chairman of the organization?s Technology
Committee. "This test material will provide a standard way to evaluate the
capabilities of digital projectors and compare them to film, along with
image compression technologies critical for digital cinema distribution."
DCI began this project by identifying what would be needed to test various
aspects of the DCI technical specification. "We established two primary
criteria," said Howard Lukk, DCI?s Director of Technology and the project?s
post-production executive. "First, we wanted elements in the image that
would be technically challenging for the compression test. Second, we wanted
the original images to be captured on film from which we would digitally
scan the completed "mini-movie".
A world-class team of ASC cinematographers artistically designed and filmed
the "mini-movie" during a two-day shoot last August on the back lot at
Universal Studios. More than two hours of film were captured in both 35 MM
and 65 MM formats.  This footage featured a number of scenes with a variety
of lighting conditions, colors, textures and other variables of photographic
definition including confetti, rain, fog and others.  During the carefully
managed post-production process, the thousands of feet of film were edited
down to the 12-minute "Mini-Movie," which was processed and scanned at 6K
horizontal resolution to retain the richness of the details in the film
images.  It was then down-resolved to both 4K and 2K digital formats, which
DCI will use in its testing.  An HD version is also available, as well as a
35MM answer print version.
There is no plot in the completed "Mini-Movie," but the wedding scenes, shot
during daylight, at night, during rain and in other variable settings, will
serve as a robust test of image quality for digital projectors, compression
systems, and other elements of a digital cinema system.  The "Mini-Movie"
also includes a 30-second segment of 4K CGI material from Walt Disney?s
"Treasure Planet."
Information regarding StEM or the DCI Technical Specifications can be
obtained by contacting Walt Ordway, DCI?s Chief Technology Officer.