[tig] Standard def finishing in data style

Clark Bierbaum bierbaum
Fri May 14 00:22:17 BST 2004

All,
	I have done a number of SD projects using a modified methodology:
		I discuss the final desired look with the client.  I then do the
dailies leaning toward the end look with some room to "backup" if they
change their minds, layoff to d-beta.  They offline and then I conform
in eQ and we do final color.

	I have found when I have to go back to the "normal" selects path I
miss the tools in eQ - unlimited tangent based windows, dust busting,
and most importantly working with only the frames that go to air in
their proper order.

	To the point of flat d-beta having the range I would, in theory,
worry.  BUT I had a session last year where the agency didn't attend
the final selects supervised by the director (in another city) and
hated what he did.  We were able to "undo" some major correction which
I swore we would not be able to do - I wanted to go back to the film
but they wanted to try it.  The range and cleanliness of the Q line is
amazing - I would say the best math of any box out there.

	Still a YOUNG product but even the skeptics may be happily surprised.

	The one challenging issue is clients now expect to composite shots and
do selects xfer in the same session in the same amount of time and
don't seem to remember that this work used to occur in TWO rooms with
TWO operators.

Clark Bierbaum
Senior Colorist / Finishing Artist
The Film Foundry