[tig] what in the world.

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Wed May 26 09:36:15 BST 2004

We get this problem constantly.

One solution we have found is to put a few seconds of grey scale (with colour burst if VHS) on the front of tapes. If it plays back with a sky-blue-pink cast on the client's monitor then it proves it's not our fault.

The main problem is, if you walk into Dixon's (a UK retailer of TVs) or the equivalent US outlet, all the TVs are different.

Ho hum!

Jeff Booth
Soho Images

ps anyone seen or used the new Pioneer PRV-LX1 DVD recorder?

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-admin at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-admin at tig.colorist.org]On
Behalf Of Kelly Armstrong
Sent: 26 May 2004 04:12
To: Glenn Gundlach; tig at tig.colorist.org
Cc: stratus46 at yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [tig] what in the world.

thanks to Aaton for supporting the TIG.
--

Which brings me to a question we constantly battle with.
 Clients frequently complain how things never look the
same at their office, at home, etc.  I guess mostly at
their office, where CD's are giving the final okay for
release.

We always offer to have one of our engineers go and set up
their monitors.  Obviously we have no control over who
cranks what  knob on what monitor at a given agency.
 Having said that,

  I was wondering if anyone else deals with this issue.  I
have pondered the idea of having a "consumer monitor" in
my room, but realize I am opening an endless can of worms.
  As a Colorist, I have to convice the clients that the
images they see, albeit on an extremely expensive monitor
which will in no way come close to what they are seeing at
home, is what they must sign off on as it is the true
color they are setting.

I do try to convice clients to be conservative in certain
issues and take liberty in others as I know how an image
will end up looking as a general rule on tv.  (I am
talking commerical work here -- although I did ask a demo
artist at the Discreet NAB booth how he dealt with
inconsistencies in projection screen color imaging on DI
work.  The end result, the same.  Trust YOUR monitor as
"GOD".)

Any similar situations out there?

Kelly Armstrong
Slightly Older Colorist
Avenue/Chicago
625 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60618
(312-943-7100)
(312-94309760 - fax)
kelly at avenue-edit.com

--
Help wanted ads are welcome here on the main TIG; blatant advertising
or marketing is not but can be sent to tig-announce at tig.colorist.org.

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com

Soho Images Film Laboratory Digital Post, 8 - 14 Meard Street, London W1F 0EQ
tel: (+44) 020 7437 0831  fax: (+44) 020 7734 9471 web: http://www.sohoimages.com
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Soho 601 Images Film Laboratory Digital Post cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.