[tig] FW: Tig digest - red LEDs

Schnuelle, Dave DLS
Mon Oct 4 21:13:55 BST 2004

Email:  dls at dolby.com

--__--__--

Message: 7
Subject: RE: [tig] Cyan Dye Tracks
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:49:35 -0700
From: "Nichols Craig" <Craig.Nichols at thomson.net>
To: "Dave Corbitt" <david.corbitt at verizon.net>,
   "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at calarts.edu>,
   "Telecine Internet Group" <tig at colorist.org>

Red LEDs, or Lasers, are what is used most to scan cyan tracks, since =
tracks are minus red, and are easily read by 660 nm light sources.  When
=
I was investigating ways to read these tracks (before my employment by =
Thomson) I was told by various Red Reader manufacturers that their =
concern for replacing the existing lamp with LEDs had to do with the =
distance of the pickup from the film and the pickup sensitivity.  One =
potential problem with Red Led readers is pickup of stray hum, or so I =
am told. I was told by several manufacturers and by Dolby that the =
optimum approach is to shine led from the reverse side and collect the =
light on top of the film.  This approach can also imrove performance of
=
legacy silver sound tracks.  Such reverse scan led readers have been in
=
use on projectors since around 1997.  It might be possilbe to replace =
the existing lamp with an LED and have it work.  I have researched this
=
area in the past, but have not done any experiments.

Sam Chavez from Bay Area Cinema Products is interested in discussing =
this.  He has produced custom readers for THX and others, I am told. =
This address is on the Dyetracks. org page under manufacturers. I cannot
=
endorse any one particular vendor.

Regards,

Craig