[tig] RE: Tig digest, Vol 1 #1019 - 1 msg

Laurence Claydon laurence
Thu Oct 7 18:29:47 BST 2004

Hi,

One of the issues of running older material with red light (notably reverse scan) is that thesedays the HF equalisation is set using pink noise on colour stock. This therefore compensates for both the HF rolloff of the reader AND the stock AND the recording process. This is fine with a new track in Dolby SR on new stock. Get a slightly worn early A-Type and crackle and hiss encroach! (I once discovered this doing a service visit for a 'Star Trek' day a few years back with prints ranging from 1979 A-type through to Dolby Digital). This is compounded with density tracks.

Dolby used to provide (combined with tone on the other side- CAT 69) pink noise on black and white stock which was recorded at half speed. This provides EQ only for the replay chain due to its HF content which is flatter to higher frequencies than normally recorded. The difference between the two is less noticeable on white light readers which have a wider slit and therefore only flat to about 12kHz after Eq. The Reverse Scan red LED units can be Eq's flat to 14-16kHz, with more 5-6dB more HF compensation being seen when aligning with CAT 69P. Hence the noise on older material!

Try lining up with older CAT 69 and let the HF content of the source material roll-off as nature intended. For older mono material, make sure you use a decent 8kHz rolloff Academy filter at some stage in the process (although this can be applied after the initial transfer)

Hope this helps!

Laurence Claydon
Bell Theatre Services Ltd
London, UK

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: FW: Tig digest - red LEDs (Mikko Kuutti)

Message: 1