[Tig] Safe title question

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Mon Dec 5 22:12:53 GMT 2005

--
Thanks to everyone for supporting the TIG through
the years.
--
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Lapointe Michel wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> When attempting to explain to a young director the logic behind the safe
> action and safe title areas, I started
> To wonder. In 20 years, he will probably make programs to an audience
> where CRTs  will be a minority of the dislay devices.
>
> As the viewing world is slowly going toward displays that are not CRT
> based, what will happen to these 2  concept?

The world is heading toward displays which are not CRT based like a
locomotive on full steam.  But of course, CRT does not imply 4:3
aspect ratio and many non-CRT computer displays (e.g. LCD flat panel)
are still mostly 4:3 designs.  I was in a large computer store a week
ago and noticed that there was not a CRT monitor to be seen.  It is
questionable if there was even one available for sale.  Last time I
looked at a Dell catalog, there was only one CRT offered for sale.
The situation is similar in home theater and electronics stores.

Due to continued use of overscan, there would still be a need for safe
action and safe title areas even if all displays were 16:9.  Maybe
someday overscan will be eliminated, but today it is still needed even
with digital TV due to ugly/bad pixels on the left and right of the
image.

Bob