[Tig] JVC HD 2K projector

Tyler A. Hawes tyler
Tue Dec 6 03:55:48 GMT 2005

--
Thanks to everyone for supporting the TIG through
the years.
--
We own a JVC DLA-HD2K projector so I thought I?d share our findings.

As the full 1920x1080 resolution would suggest, it is incredibly sharp.

The color is quite good for a consumer (albeit high-end) device. The reds
are a bit troublesome, having trouble giving a natural red and tending to be
a bit ?orangey?. That?s always been a problem for JVC D-ILA projectors. I
have not tried using an eCinema or other HD-SDI/DVI converter with color
calibration features, but I?m sure it could improve upon the already good
performance.

There is also anywhere from 1/4 pixel to 1/2 pixel offset in H/V directions
on the R/G/B D-ILA panels. I went through three different units and mine was
the best one I found (I believe green is 1/4 pixel to the right of blue and
red is 1/2 pixel down and left if I recall). According to JVC, this is
within the tolerances they allow and there is no way to service the unit to
align it better. While it is not noticeable on anything except very sharp
high-resolution graphics, it also can result in some chroma shifting on
high-frequency detail, which is not good for a DI suite. Convergence is
never ?perfect? on any digital projector (unless by sheer chance it came out
that way, but that?d be like winning the lottery), but compared to our 2k
DLP projector which is perfect other than perhaps 1/8 pixel H/V offset in
Red, it?s lacking. It also cost less, though, so...

The blacks are still a problem as with all LCD/LCOS technology, but it is
quite a bit better than previous generation LCOS (even the DLA-G150CL which
I have a lot of time on).

The projector is not very bright (500 ANSI lumens if I recall), so big
screens will be problematic. However, in a darkened room you really don?t
need as much brightness as you might think for casual screenings. DI work is
another matter, where you will need to maintain 12 ft. lamberts.

Our bulb is still looking pretty good after 1400 hours. It?s rated for 2000
and looks like it might go the distance.

Someone mentioned using a gain screen, but I?m not real comfortable using
gain screens in a DI application due to inherit problems of uniformity (both
edge-to-edge and spectral).

We have no trouble getting 23.976fps through an HDLink, other than the
HDLink giving us occasionally signal dropouts (no, we haven?t done diligence
to see about it being a bad box, so we can?t really blame Black Magic on
that one since I?m sure they?d help if we contacted them). However, the
Faroudja scaler that ships with it will NOT take 23.976 (really psf) analog
video, which is why JVC says it is not supported. It works on the direct DVI
input though.

Regarding the mentions of 9? CRT projectors, I should start by saying I?ve
never owned one so can only make some academic guesses. I think the biggest
trouble would be finding one, as they are a dieing breed. Beyond that, their
analog nature has other problems besides drift, such as if you need
sophisticated software management of color space, etc. Also, convergence on
such a high-rez picture is bound to be problematic if indeed you can get
that much out of it. All that said, digital projection is still playing
catch-up in many aspects (other than 3-chip DLP).

Besides all this there is the software side, which is to say scaling,
non-square pixel management, color space, etc., which consumer projectors
(including the HD2K) are lacking. You?d have to figure out some other way of
managing this (there are solutions, but it means more legwork to get it
working and manage it). Again, none of that matters for home theater or a
purely video (i.e. Rec.709 or 601) environment, but very much matters for
DI.

In short, I would whole-heartedly endorse the DLA-HD2K for home theater
(which is what it is designed for) or for semi-critical D65 color work.
However, I would not ever consider using it for highly critical color work
such as theatrical features. The performance is just not enough, in my
opinion, to be workable for that. We do use it for more casual screenings on
a 7-ft. screen we have in a more living room type environment we have for
one of our Final Cut Pro online bays, and it is also perfect for online
editing, visual effects and other high-resolution work we do there (but not
final color). We can also do some ?offline color? work with it, such as
junior colorist doing a first pass before we do the final work on the Barco,
so long as we?ve set the ?key? looks (and saved them in a still store) on
the Barco first for them to match against.

--
Tyler A. Hawes
DI Artist

www.hollywooddi.com