[Tig] Self calibration?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Fri Dec 9 22:59:10 GMT 2005

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Hugh Waters wrote:
> a) Does it matter? ie since a colourist goes into a well set up grading room
> they will normally be comparing the grading screen with a reference screen
> (sometimes a monochrome monitor or a surround or even an illuminated
> greyscale) so does their own personal colour perception actually matter?

Colorists should not be colorblind. :-)

The notion of "self calibration" brings up a very good point.  It
seems that there should be a way for a colorist to prove to himself
(or others) that he is seeing things adquately well that day in order
to satisfactorily perform the task.  Are there any ready-made tests
which can be used to quickly evaluate that the colorist's vision is
adequate on that day?

> c) Whilst I certainly can't imagine many post houses adopting a battleship
> interior design ethos throughout their facilities, do any of our colourist

Subjecting colorists to prison-like battleship gray is
counter-productive.  Sensory deprivation can only serve to destabilize
the senses so that the slightest introduction of color represents a
huge change from the normal environment.  It makes much more sense to
have a profusion of interesting colors, photographs, and patterns in
the facility in order to exercise the eyes.  Colorists should be
encouraged to take long (paid) breaks in verdant gardens, forests, or
other visually stimulating places.  The ideal environment will be as
close to the film being graded as possible.

Bob