[Tig] X'Y'Z' color for JPEG2000 Digital Cinema

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Sat Dec 10 04:54:53 GMT 2005

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Jamie wrote:

> Does anyone have any resources on the X'Y'Z' color space and/or aware of any
> conversion tools to get there from 16bit 4:4:4 RGB/A, or log?

GraphicsMagick includes some X'Y'Z' color space transformation support
to/from Rec.709 RGB color.  See magick/colorspace.c.

It is important to recognize that each RGB space has a unique
transform to X'Y'Z'.  If you have a ICC CMS profile which describes
the RGB space, you can use Little CMS (http://www.littlecms.com/) to
accurately transform to X'Y'Z'.  LCMS is a programmer's tool.

If you are looking to generate X'Y'Z' JPEG2000, it may not be
difficult to do with minor mods to GraphicsMagick.  I don't know how
well the result would match the DCI specification though since it
depends on whatever the Japser library does.

Or we could produce 16-bit X'Y'Z' TIFF like the sample movie from DCI.

Bob