[Tig] Re: HD and the Superbowl

Sam B. Dlugach dlugach
Tue Feb 8 09:05:43 GMT 2005

Believe it or not, last year CBS had initially planned to simply
upconvert from SD the entire commercial pods until some advertisers
demanded HD for their money.  After that, you'd think everyone would
demand 16x9 full-rez presentation.

If I were spending $2000/frame for airtime, I'd certainly want my spot
in HD.   With millions spent in creative, testing, and production, and
another cool $2M for air, one would think agencies would kick up the
post budget a smidge.  It's hard to imagine that the egos involved
would permit anything less.  After all, the Super Bowl is the greatest
pissing match in the spot kingdom.

Astounding further still is the relative lack of interest in 5.1 audio
for spots, even though there are an estimated 40 million surround sound
systems out there - many more than there are HD televisions.  I believe
there were approximately six million HDTVs sold last year.

I must correct one notion put forth by Mr. Dildine.  Most TV spots for
feature films are in fact not mere trailer cutdowns.  Editorial houses
cut from whatever sources they can get their hands on in order to tell
the story.  The "HITCH" Superbowl spot I finished for Sony Pictures
contained picture elements from an HD trailer, HD dailies, two
different IP versions, and OCN wrested from the negative cutter's
hands.  As is often the case, finding, transferring, and converting
(not to mention matching) the various elements can be quite a task.
Audio can be just as challenging.  With HD picture finishing, 5.1 mix,
and client approvals, that spot was in-house for four days.  If the
thing looks like a trailer cutdown, we did our job right.

Cheers,

Sam Dlugach
Senior Colorist
New Wave Entertainment