[Tig] is it just me...?

Marc Wielage mfw
Tue Feb 15 16:51:21 GMT 2005

On 2/11/05 9:06 AM, "Skip Elsheimer" <skipe at mindspring.com> commented on the
TIG list:

> Whenever I go to big electronics chain show, I can't even go into the TV
> section without wincing - all the TVs are too bright and over-saturated.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

You left out how most of these sets also have color temperature set to about
9000 degrees (very blue).  And on top of that, you'll see fifty sets on
display, and few of them are even similar to each other.  It's as if the
store sets the screens up randomly, with the contrast boosted to about 100
fL, which a friend of mine calls "retina-searing levels."

I don't know of a single store in Southern California that displays TV sets
or projection screens correctly.  It's really discouraging to see your work
played back on sets that are this whacked-out.

> I have digital cable and the amount of dvnr I see is outrageous. I was
> housesitting at friend's and I was compelled to adjust the color
> temperature on their TV.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

There's so many potential problems with digital cable, satellite
transmissions, and other kinds of processing, you never know what kind of
artifacts you're seeing.  My guess is you're seeing digital artifacts, but
not necessarily caused by DVNR.  DVNR (especially the latest boxes) is not
as evil as some make them about to be; to me, it's just another tool that
can be used well or used badly.

> So my question is: Will this ever go away? Can a professional telecine
> operator turnoff that part of their brain in real-life? Does it require
> alcohol?

There are still times I see a movie in a theater, and instinctively reach
forward to adjust a trackball when I think the color timing is wrong.  So
the answers are: "no," "probably not completely," and "not necessarily, but
it might help."

--Marc Wielage/Colorist
Technicolor Creative Services
Hollywood, USA

Note:  The opinions above are strictly my own, and not necessarily that of
my employers.