[Tig] size of lab roll

Jeff Booth jeff.booth
Sun Feb 27 19:59:49 GMT 2005

At Soho Images lab rolls are around the 1700 feet mark (16 and 35). Rarely
more than 1850. We use Ursa and Spirit.

Coffee breaks in mid-roll are not encouraged!

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org] On
Behalf Of jfmann at optonline.net
Sent: 27 February 2005 13:42
To: Rob Lingelbach
Cc: Telecine Internet Group
Subject: Re: [Tig] size of lab roll

Thanks to Sean McKee and Digital Vision AB for supporting the TIG.
--
Rob........Willkommen zu Europa....I say with a grin,

Back in the old days when I worked for DuArt in New York the longest 16mm
roll you would see coming out of the lab was 800 feet. (244 meters) This was
done despite the fact that the DuArt box could hold 1200 feet (and
management was always complaining about storage space). In other labs that I
have visited in the states I would say that 1200 feet is the norm.

Then I arrived in Europe. In doing my first large 16mm job here, I discover
a lab roll larger than a New York Pepperoni Pizza! 2000 feet (610 M) about
53 minutes in PAL time. Needless to say I was careful just to pick it up off
the table. Then I found the wind was tight and the splices where perfect.
Every time. The negative was clean without any sign of cinching. This
combined with the film handling of the Spirit transport made me more
comfortable. So I have adapted to this practice and developed a new new one.
When I get about half way through the roll I stop....have a cup of Austrian
coffee then continue.

Regards;
Jim

Jim Mann