[Tig] size of lab roll

Nichols Craig Craig.Nichols
Mon Feb 28 07:50:21 GMT 2005

The biggest lab roll I heard of was a famous lab's first attempts at
high speed printing with 4000 foot loads.  It was not OCN fortunately.
The mass of the roll was too much for the modified printer transport,
and it came off the printer and chased an ill placed technician down the
hall!

Insert std disclaimer

Craig Nichols
Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org [mailto:tig-bounces at tig.colorist.org]
On Behalf Of Rob Lingelbach
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 4:57 AM
To: Telecine Internet Group
Subject: [Tig] size of lab roll

Thanks to Sean McKee and Digital Vision AB for supporting the TIG.
--
perhaps John Pytlak or some of our film lab people here can help me
with this question.

what is the recommended size of a roll of negative from the developing
lab for transfer or printing?  In Los Angeles the practice from the
labs with whom I worked was that rolls of negative would be limited
generally to no more than 1200 feet, sometimes if 4 camera rolls were
going to be assembled together there would be two lab rolls of 800 feet
each for example.  Is there a recommded practice for the size of a lab
roll?

I have recently had the experience of needing to transfer neg rolls
from the lab of 2200 feet and though the telecine can handle it I feel
it's excessive and possibly dangerous to have this much negative on a
roll-- it's heavy, hard to handle, and increases liability if anything
should happen at any point in handling.

thanks
Rob
--