[Tig] Subject: Weird anamorphic squeeze on Fox Movie Channel - TheLongest Day

Tom Nottingham nottinghams
Mon Feb 28 18:35:54 GMT 2005

In my long association with Fox, The Longest Day is one film on which I
never had the privilege to work. However, that said, I am somewhat familiar
with the history on this title. There are actually two versions of the film,
Domestic (for US), and international. I am not sure what the exact
differences were except that they are different cuts. We discovered this
problem while attempting to lay back Domestic subtitles to a letterboxed
textless transfer of the international version. For this reason, vidiofont
titles were generated in an edit situation to make the titles fit. Since
this was a very expensive process, the existing transfer seen on cable dates
from the 1980s. I don't recall any sizing problems in the textless transfer,
but in the 1980s, less attention was paid to such technical matters. It was
common practice to place the subtitles under the picture in the matte on
letterbox titles because it was a little easer on the eyes. It is done less
today because most scope titles are transferred or down converted in
squeezed 16X9 mode, and that makes subtitles harder to place. The standard
for title placement has always been safe title, so it any are off the edges,
I would suspect the monitor. I have seen this title broadcast many times,
and I don't recall any width problem, but anything is possible through the
round robin.

The confusion on Cinematography results from different unit companies (with
different directors) filming the various foreign language sections of the
film. The fourth name being dropped is probably politics.

Tom Nottingham