[Tig] "video" vs RGB

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Tue Jul 26 23:07:03 BST 2005

For GraphicsMagick I have currently implemented DPX YCbCr support
which clips below-black and above-white when the file is read.  This
allows safely scaling to and from full-range R'G'B'.  By mapping
full-range RGB to the YCbCr video range, a RGB image that looks right
on a computer display should also look correct as video.

A drawback to this approach is that below-black and above-white
information in the YCbCr is simply discarded when the image is read.
Without the discard, it may be that the levels could have been
corrected.  A video Pluge with below-black will lose its below-black
bar.

So, my question to the TIG experts is how video YCbCr should be
handled in applications which are principly RGB-oriented?  How do
major studio applications deal with this issue?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn