[Tig] Topazio's BRRE lab & 3D projection

Laurence Claydon laurence
Wed Jul 27 17:43:56 BST 2005

Peter,

Losses due to 3D shutter glasses require extra light. For the NFT demo we set 28ftL which was easy with the ~30ft screen, based on 14ftL per eye (half the time). In fact the glasses have a slight transmission loss in the 'off' state as well as not being true neutral density, although this can be compensated for in the projector.

Next time I will put the 3D specs on the colour light meter when setting up and make it easy :-)

Laurence Claydon
Bell Theatre Services Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Swinson [mailto:peter_swinson at compuserve.com]
Sent: 27 July 2005 16:50
To: tig
Subject: [Tig] Topazio's BRRE lab & 3D projection

Thanks to Edifis Media Tech for supporting the TIG
--

I note that Bill Topazio has produced a mobile BRRE lab. While the image
quality would not allow full resolution it appeared that the lab was at the

My UK BRRE's are presently on hold. However 2 week vacation cruising from
pub to pub along the English river Cam & Ouse looms and I am sure that
subsequently I shall be able to report on never seen before results.

BTW how many of you have seen the 3D created version of the original Star
Wars? It used 3D Dimensionalisation which I believe was conceived by Mike
Kaye who was for many years at Encore.  I know it's only reel 1 but I found
it quite amazing. I saw it at the UK NFT via a Digital Cinema projector
running at 96fps, 48 fps each eye sequentially. Certainly no flicker and
brightness was good, probably because the lamp could be cranked up to
offset the losses in the LCD switching glasses.

Cheers
Peter Swinson

participate in the tig wiki pages at http://tig.colorist.org/wiki