[Tig] Monitor calibration

Ian Richardson ian.richardson
Wed Jun 15 08:41:32 BST 2005

Hi all,
I thought I would throw in a bit from 'down under'
At this current facility we use a Minolta 2150 [not my choice but is OK]
Luminance we measure in cd/m2 not usually the good old Ft-L however......
We do not use 'illuminated surrounds' but rely on D6500 'spill light' with
neutral [grey] background walls behind monitors.
All 3 x T/C rooms are similar [ish], including Inferno's Flames, DS-HD's, Smokes etc.
We set on clean full frame Pluge not a 'combo signal' [ie with bars]......
Lum to 75 cd/m2 this equates to 21.89 Ft-L, say 22Ft-L  [1FL = 3.426 cd/m2 I recall]
This is in the bottom of the spread Martin mentions below.
It is good for all our rooms.
Black is set on Pluge at the 'nominal artiste viewing distance' 3% bar just visible
We set x=315 y=309. the x&y points differ from
D65 spec but these were arrived at 'years ago' by consensus between
all the [then] existing facilities and their respective instruments.
In the interests of interchange between facilities. [probably time to do it again
if there is anybody left to test with in our current business climate]
I/we find that the best results for tracking near black are done by 'eye'
[bottom Pluge step down to black] One gets quite good at this, and my opinion
is with all the D65 in your face as you do it it seems to result in correct
black bal. where it counts. Our meter cant resolve at this low level.
We then track up the brightness to apx 15 % and see if we get any hue shifts
or tracking errors. Then restore to correct brightness etc.

cheers,
Ian Richardson
Chief Techo and apprentice cat herder
Digital Pictures