[Tig] 4K digital intermediates using video technology

Dominic Case cased
Fri Jun 24 07:43:45 BST 2005

>"I guess the term digital intermediate is an
>intermediate name, because in a few years all post will be done this
>way."

But what will the term become?

It's called a digital intermediate because the term "intermediate" is well
understood in the film lab business, and because scanning, conforming,
cleaning, colour correcting, and output to a negative for printing is a
direct substitute for the "photochemical intermediate" processes of colour
timing, wetgate IP, and DN.

So when DI's are all digital, will we revert to calling it a  plain
"intermediate" process? Or will the trend to non-linearity of the whole film
production chain, whereby post production takes place before, during and
after production (henceforth to be called plain old "image capture"), make
the whole soggy mess totally incomprehensible to us all.

Me, I prefer to talk about "scanning" "recording" and "the middle bit".

Dominic Case
Atlab Australia

This email message [including any file attachments transmitted with it ] is for the sole use of the individual  or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or priveledged information.
Any unauthorised review,use,alteration,disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
 Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.