[Tig] 16mm mag track standards?

Marc Wielage mfw
Wed Mar 2 18:30:28 GMT 2005

On 3/2/05 8:43 AM, "G.I.O." <tfg1 at mindspring.com> asked on the TIG list:

> Can someone tell me what format of 16mm mag track is used
> most often for monaural interlock transfers?
>
> Is it center track or edge track?
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

In North America, my experience is that it's almost always edge track.  Once
in a blue moon we'd get center track or even stereo.  Chace Productions and
some other firms specializing in optical sound transfers often would produce
stereo or dual-mono mags with signals on both tracks, but the mags were
always labeled "EBU 2-track."  Sometimes, those sound transfers were
Dolby-encoded as well, but I think that practice has gone by the wayside;
now, I think they're delivering DATs or DA-88s.

In Europe, I'd say anything goes.  You'd think that center track would
theoretically sound better, since it's further in from the edge of the film,
and less susceptible to dropouts.  Probably the best bet is to use a 2-track
head, and listen to both channels, if the mag is not identified.

--Marc Wielage/Senior Colorist
Technicolor Creative Services
Hollywood, USA

NOTE:  The comments above are strictly mine, and may not necessarily
represent those of my employers.