[Tig] Do you Do It in the dark?

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Thu Mar 3 02:20:08 GMT 2005

> yes the problem with most recommendations is that they don't scale.

Probably because most of these come from last century (couldn't resist). :-)

But, seriously, I think that the problem is that the most fundamental aspect
of the matter is being lost:  Design Intent.

Why is it that viewing distance is important?  Answer that and the intent
will be clear.

Some of the options might be:

- Pixel-level analysis (dust busting)
- Accurate color perception
- Quality control (color and artifacts)
- Passive viewing TV
- Passive viewing Movies
- Immersive viewing (IMAX, 3D, motion rides)

I think that quite a few of these can be specified quite nicely by dropping
the picture height/width/diagonal + multiplier approach in favor an
enclosing viewing cone, in degrees, with the vertex located at the viewer
positioned normal to the screen centroid.  That says a lot about the
experience.  It also deals with aspect ratios and screen sizes without
ambiguity because it defines the design intent.

For example, if you want the viewer to have to move his/her eyes or head to
see different areas of the screen, then the specification might be a 120-150
degree cone.  Pick your screen and aspect ratio.  The result will be the
same.

In the case of accurate color perception for TV, two cones might be defined.
One enclosing the display device and a second enclosing the required
surround field.  Or, perhaps, an overall enclosing cone with a percent
specification for the area occupied by the monitor.

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320
fax: 661-775-4876