[Tig] Do you Do It in the dark?

Sam Holtz SHOLTZ
Thu Mar 3 04:23:05 GMT 2005

In the years 1976-1977  Eastman Kodak demonstrated that ANY color picture if
it was stranded by a flat field, an you vary brightness and if you also
added color, and you varied the hue and saturation of the field tat strands
the picture even a printed picture. the perception from the viewer of the
colors, contrast brightness will also varies. That year Eastman lost a lot
of money because of this test part of a training for photographers, Color
quality was eliminated.
At the same time CONRAC (the only "color certified model in the matrix""
discontinue their "perfect monitor" that was vacuum tubes THE CYA and THE
CYB replacing it with the mostly solid State (yes transistors) the RHA an
the colors were all over the place. The 3 Directors of Engineering of the
top 3 Post Houses, Vidtronics, a division of Technicolor by Laurent La,
Trans American Video Jack Caloway and Editel a Canadian based Company by
your humble servant Sam Holtz setup several CYB 19' to match what each one
of us considered standard and the documented that if with color Bars with
plug, we first use a flat field and setup white to be 6,500 degrees Kelvin
and a total brightness of 60 foot-candles on the white flag and the strand
will be any neutral color (gray or white) that the reflected light will be
1/10th id of the white flag. This would be a reference that represented the
average living room light. This was documented again about two or three
years after by SMPTE as RP 162
Forgot to mention that the combination of phosphors from CONRAC were
different from the European BARCO,etc and Panasonic, the first one to
embrace the call tem  SMPTE Matrix (for the European and California matrix
for the CONRAC. the only one now accepted for color correction, Now with
DIGITAL INTERMEDIATE its a new ball game. to begin the image will be in a
projection system that strands you, therefore the 10 foot-candles argument
is false therefore if that is the final and ONLY USE, dark is appropriate.
The Color temperature and color matrix applied ONLY to CRT's TFT and Plasma
as well as projection has different rules. SMPTE has several comities
preparing the rules is still in my opinion no real standard to follow except
for Television in the old fashion way.  Lets Hope a standard is reached soon
Sam Holtz
email: samh at ieee.org and sam at ste-ca.org
19174 Doral Place / Porter Ranch, CA 91326-1223
818-366-3659 / FAX 615-658-8742