[Tig] Do you Do It in the dark?

Peter Swinson peter_swinson
Thu Mar 3 11:45:18 GMT 2005

Martin, raised the issue of viewing cone angle.

This brings another parameter into play; peripheral color vision. I have
just given a presentation that, in part, covered this very subject.
It is astonishing how narrow our high resolution color vision is, just a
few degrees. Beyond about 5 to 10 degrees we cannot read text, beyond about
15 degrees color differentiation becomes difficult  unless the colors are
highly saturated.  While the rods in our eyes comprise seperate RGB
versions, the cones only see in monochrome.
It could thererfore be argued that any reference lighting color temperature
is irrelevent if more than a few 10's of  degrees off visual centre!

It is our viisual very short term memory that  gives us our "whole image
view", In reality we see very litttle detail from moment to moment but
accumulate any scene by movement of our eyes.

I have asked Rob to place a drawing showing our  viewing limits in a
suitable location.

cheers

Peter Swinson