[Tig] Who really owns LA post?

sklein54 at earthlink.net sklein54
Thu Mar 3 17:47:56 GMT 2005

My memory of the community ten years ago is fluctuation regarding ownership, not clarity. (I refer to the cartoon from my childhood of the increasing size fish swimming up from behind and eating each other.)
Bob Festa was great at navigating employment opportunities and the magic interval to work at a shop before moving on to optimize your income, but in the 90's those periods became superseded by the changing of the guard at the place you worked. "Break-in periods" of new owners/managers to jockey for position and become familiar with the subtleties of the operation and the market were so long that they often overlapped attractive career choices, both at your shop and the new one you may have been considering moving to. A few times I observed fellow talent in town changing jobs coincident to an acquisition and ending up back in their old color suite under new management ..... and that light over their console was still burned out! ! !
Some of the axioms of the trade are different under larger corporations, some the same. The depth of your market draw still determines how long it takes to get the owner or "Senior Vice President of Film and Video Creative Group" to a lunch meeting, and the dog starts to move a dozen wave cycles later than it used to when you start wagging the tail.

By the way, what was the most frequently "newly-owned" shop in town?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Most <mmost at sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Mar 3, 2005 8:16 AM
To: 'Telecine Internet Group' <tig at tig.oktobor.com>
Subject: Re: [Tig] Who really owns LA post?

Thanks to Thomas Electronics for supporting the TIG.
Read about BRRE thanks to Dwaine Maggart
and Peter Swinson at http://tig.colorist.org/wiki/index.php/BRRE_Compendium
--

On Mar 2, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Dave Pickett wrote:

> So a large portion of the throughput capacity of Los Angeles post has
> been consolidated and sold several times.  Who really owns LA post?
> 10 years ago the answers were clear.

Ascent Media, Technicolor, Laser Pacific (oops, Kodak), Modern
Videofilm (still independent, for the moment), and the Post Group (oops
again, Lightning Media) are really the only players now, with Ascent,
Technicolor, and Laser Kodak together having, by my guess, about 90% of
the episodic television business, probably more if you don't count
reality shows.

Mike Most
VFX Supervisor
IATSE Local 600