[Tig] how far can you go?

Michael Orton morton
Thu Mar 3 21:19:35 GMT 2005

At 11:54 AM -0800 3/3/05, Marc Wielage wrote:

>   Your miles may vary, batteries not included,
>member FDIC.

Interesting. Your miles definitely do vary on this one, Marc. One of
the things I was told by the colorists soon after arrival here in
Aotearoa is that DPs who are new to New Zealand are not used to the
clarity of the light here, and so often accidentally overexpose until
they get used to the conditions.

Now how that can happen with lightmeters and all mystifies me, but I
know many DPs are so experienced, they can look at a scene and nail
the exposure pretty accurately, in the same way that keen
photographers will tell you its 1/125th of a sec at f8. Apparently
the quality of the light here just throws 'em.

I've found very wide variation in how much "stretch" a film will take
before "falling apart" on the telecine, so much so that I hesitate to
give even a guide value; I do agree with you that the more recent
stocks have fabulous latitude, and can withstand a pounding on the
lift/gamma/gain controls, and especially secondaries much more than
even ten years ago.

Hey dont forget we have a global audience here! Youre going to have
to explain the whole "Member FDIC" thing :)

Cheers

Mike
--

Chief Technologist

Oktobor Ltd.
105 Cook St. Freeman's Bay Auckland New Zealand +64 9 306 6616
259 Wakefield St. Te Aro, Wellington New Zealand +64 4 385 0185
morton at oktobor.com
http://www.oktobor.com