[Tig] types of film (technicolor)

Rob Lingelbach robling
Tue Mar 8 23:34:27 GMT 2005

On 2005-03-08 at 15:16, Tom Nottingham (nottinghams at earthlink.net) wrote:

> Properly processed and stored, YCMs offer more than 100 years
> of preservation for photographic images. Before you digital people jump on
> the band wagon, I should point out that no one knows the shelf life of data
> tapes yet...but if video tape is any example, 20 years would be a problem.

excellent point Tom.  Digital media aren't always necessarily better, when
considering archiving.  Often better but sometimes worse, than analog media.

Archive preservationists are in a difficult position deciding when to
restore and to what medium.

As we've said here before, manufacturers don't have much of a vested
interest in supporting 20-year-old VTRs (though David Crosthwaite of
Burbank has his functioning VTR museum).

--Rob
Rob Lingelbach   TIG admin
http://www.colorist.org