[Tig] types of film (technicolor)

Rob Lingelbach robling
Wed Mar 9 07:26:32 GMT 2005

On 2005-03-08 at 17:30, Martin Euredjian (ecinema at pacbell.net) wrote:

> Regarding digital data.  Sure we know.  The shelf life of digital data is
> probably as long as the period of time that this planet will be populated by
> human beings (or longer...see move "Ai" for one vision of a possible
> future).

sure Martin, but it's not the data we're talking about, it's the
medium, as you get into next...

> Anyhow, any important data has nearly limitless longevity.  All that is
> required is transfer to a new medium.

Is this really happening-- are there companies or entities devoted to
medium exchange?  Not enough time has passed in this era to convince us
of this.

> With that said, I think that what makes sense today is to store on film with
> a look at moving to data in 5 to 25 years, depending on the nature of the
> property and evolution in the necessary technology fields.

Storing digital data on film has its adherents; an array of bits is
photographed for each frame of film.

> film, however, the long-term reality might very well be that this is just
> about the worst choice one could make if the library must survive many
> generations.  On that time scale, dealing with film might be just as hard as
> trying to find a working 8 inch floppy drive today.

I'm not sure, Martin, because not enough time has passed in the
practical world of the marketplace, where we have planned obsolescence
on the part of manufacturers.

regards
Rob   TIG admin
Rob Lingelbach