[Tig] types of film (technicolor)

Nichols Craig Craig.Nichols
Wed Mar 9 08:13:46 GMT 2005

Perhaps the "dub business market" of the future will be companies that
keep and maintain "working museums" of media data format transfer
equipment of every conceivable type?  Perhaps there's a "data-centric"
future "AME" out there? ;-}

Wouldn't it be a bit (no pun intended) ironic to have data from the data
scanning of a movie stored as a digital record printed on another film
roll?

Film is an interesting medium for actual digital record storage if
properly stored. Kodak has proven this many times that film can last. I
do not think it the worst possible storage medium. Film is not dead, it
just smells funny.

I do not think I could remember, or count, all the various storage
mediums I have seen for digital data since 1980 or so. I have concern
for the long term viability of some of the plethora of tape formats we
have seen come and go in the past 10 years.

Craig Nichols
Thomson Grass Valley

> Anyhow, any important data has nearly limitless longevity.  All that
is
> required is transfer to a new medium.

Is this really happening-- are there companies or entities devoted to
medium exchange?  Not enough time has passed in this era to convince us
of this.

> With that said, I think that what makes sense today is to store on
film with
> a look at moving to data in 5 to 25 years, depending on the nature of
the
> property and evolution in the necessary technology fields.

Storing digital data on film has its adherents; an array of bits is
photographed for each frame of film.

> film, however, the long-term reality might very well be that this is
just
> about the worst choice one could make if the library must survive many
> generations.  On that time scale, dealing with film might be just as
hard as
> trying to find a working 8 inch floppy drive today.

I'm not sure, Martin, because not enough time has passed in the
practical world of the marketplace, where we have planned obsolescence
on the part of manufacturers.

regards
Rob   TIG admin
Rob Lingelbach