[Tig] types of film (technicolor)

Tom Nottingham nottinghams
Wed Mar 9 17:02:34 GMT 2005

Your assessment of digital media is based on testing and other forecasting
methods, but such media has yet to last long enough to confirm such
conclusions. Digital media is subject to the same problems as video and
audio tape in that the support media and the binder that binds the magnetic
coating to the base are subject to failure. Yes, it true that digital backup
media may be copied (just like film), but this assumes that someone checks
the condition of such media over the course of storage so that backups may
be generated in a timely fashion.

Films shot before the turn of the century (1900, that is) still exist today.
And that is with no consideration given to longevity at the time. Since that
time, archival technology has deemed photographic images of silver on a
support base has excellent storage properties for extended periods of time.
Since Edison invented the 35mm film format in the late 1800's, the basic
film format has not changed. This has allowed for new modern equipment to
handle even 100 year old films without problems. Such films as Gone With The
Wind, and The Wizard Of Oz can look as good today as they did on the screen
65 years ago because they were stored on black and white silver based films
that were properly processed. Even Nitrate film stock, properly stored,
exist today and are available for future generations. That is not to suggest
that film does not have problems - it certainly does. But proper storage can
greatly extend any such limitations, and should be part of any archival
program.

Digital storage methods have come and gone in a matter of a few years. As
the technology marches on, the likelihood of being able to play digital
media even 20 or 30 years from now remains dim. While copying and backing up
digital storage media every few years remain a possibility, having the
technology available to process the media does not. A few examples of such
problems are A and B format 1 inch video tape, 2" helical tape, streaming
tape backups, 8" and 4" floppy disks, Bernoulli, Zip and various other
computer tapes - all used for archival storage methods.

In the 1980s, the Library of Congress deemed Laser Discs to be good for
archival purposes - since deemed unreliable due to Disc Rot. CDs and DVDs
seem to subject to the breakdown of the silver coating; another form of disc
rot. Burnable forms of DVD and CD-ROMS are subject to "image fading" due to
exposure to light. The list goes on and on.

This is not to condemn all forms of digital archiving, but only the march of
time will determine just how archival such media can be. In the mean time,
if longevity is an issue, then storage on 35mm black and white separations
is the best available technology.