[Tig] Digital data storage (was something else)

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Wed Mar 9 19:12:57 GMT 2005

> I'm sure you're very excited about future trends, MEMS-based storage
sounds wonderful (I myself can't wait for the latest line of bionic eye
implants slated for 2020)

I've said a few things that may have been glanced-over, maybe because my
posts tend to be long.  I try for precision in my messages.  This last
statement is an example of that, I didn't say "I am precise".  This takes a
lot of work when composing to make sure that the message is as accurate as
possible.  It's easy to fail to expose the subtleties.  Sorry.

I'll just highlight ONE statement I made in my very FIRST post on this
topic:

  "I think that what makes sense today is to store on film
   with a look at moving to data in 5 to 25 years,
   depending on the nature of the property
   and evolution in the necessary technology fields."

That's worth repeating with highlights:

   "I think that WHAT MAKES SENSE TODAY is to STORE ON FILM
    with a LOOK AT MOVING TO DATA IN 5 TO 25 YEARS,
    depending on the NATURE OF THE PROPERTY
    and EVOLUTION in the necessary TECHNOLOGY fields."

Just case that was a little too subtle:

Today:      STORE ON FILM. STORE ON FILM. STORE ON FILM.
Digital:    NOT NOW!!! NO, NO, NO.
When:       In 5 to 25 years. It depends.
Why:        Because a technology must surface that clearly justifies it.
Which:      Possibly MEMS (from other statements made in post)
What:       Only projects (PROPERTY) that have to get off film or already
not on film.
            Or some other metric determined by PROPERTY owner.
Signposts:  Technology must EVOLVE to the point that there will be no
question that migration is both safe and necessary.

EVERYTHING I said is guided by the above.  Run whatever argument through the
above filter.  The logic should hold.

I also said:

"The Wright brothers couldn't have envisioned a 767 airliner, YF22 fighter
or a Concorde."

Folks, you gotta let go.  Film is great.  Today.  In 25 years?  Well, I
certainly hope we resolve long-term digital data storage by then.

I have my chips on digital.  I'm all in.

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320
fax: 661-775-4876