[Tig] Digital data storage (was something else)

Rob Lingelbach robling
Wed Mar 9 19:58:43 GMT 2005

On 2005-03-09 at 11:12, Martin Euredjian (ecinema at pacbell.net) wrote:

> Today:      STORE ON FILM. STORE ON FILM. STORE ON FILM.
> Digital:    NOT NOW!!! NO, NO, NO.
> When:       In 5 to 25 years. It depends.
> Why:        Because a technology must surface that clearly justifies it.
> Which:      Possibly MEMS (from other statements made in post)

Martin your ideas are illuminating and make sense.  I think almost any
new (e.g. MEMS) storage technology will have to stand the test of time,
and that test may not be final for many years, I can't make an estimate
myself of when.  I think we all hope for a storage medium that will be
universally readable in perpetuity.  For now, as you say, it's still
film.

regards
Rob
--