[Tig] Digital data storage (was something else)

Dominic Case cased
Thu Mar 10 01:06:39 GMT 2005

>For your "build from scratch" scenario to even be necessary we'd have to
>have such apocalyptic events that watching movies, I would imagine, might
>not be a very high priority.

Not to flog this horse too long - but I think you are entirely wrong here,
Martin.

Firstly, it is quite easy and quite common for technologies to be lost in
the normal passage of time - not in a lifetime necessarily, but in a couple
of centuries.

Secondly and more importantly, if we did encounter an apocalytic event that
destroyed all replay machines but some images survived, then I suggest that
civilization's survival would absolutely depend on the recovery of records
and culture from before the big event. Once basic food and shelter was
established after this apocalypse, the fastest way to rebuild would be to
recover everything possible that contributes to life. A cultural platform is
part of that. But it's not just "watching movies"  (though doing just that
would be a rather useful lesson in what went wrong!). Society depends more
and more on communicating in images and being able to retrieve them - not
just movies, but instructional videos, security videos, records of
interview, etc.

Dominic Case
Atlab Australia

This email message [including any file attachments transmitted with it ] is for the sole use of the individual  or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or priveledged information.
Any unauthorised review,use,alteration,disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
 Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.