[Tig] Digital data storage (was something else)

Martin Euredjian ecinema
Thu Mar 10 00:28:49 GMT 2005

> consider also that if you're doing this scanning in real time, and
allowing a hypothetical ratio of 1:2 for running time against session
time, and an example work-week of 100 hours (two shifts) and the result
is roughly 8 years to complete the job.  Or 1 year for 8 scanning
systems at the same 100-hour workweek.  Can anyone afford such an
investment in time or facilities?

I did allocate $40 million to this first scan.  Make it $80 million if you'd
like.  It still makes sense.  US$80 million dollars to run 8 to 10 scanning
(not Telecine) systems 100 hours per week.  It sounds like a business to me.

These, obviously, should be push-button scanners that are intelligent enough
to capture the full dynamic range of the material both spatially and
color-wise without expert input.  Are we going to have such a beast in about
ten years?  I would think so.

Martin Euredjian
eCinema Systems, Inc.
voice: 661-305-9320