# [Tig] Digital data storage (was something else) Martin Euredjian

Adrian Thomas adrian
Mon Mar 14 14:45:31 GMT 2005

On 14 Mar 2005, at 14:20, Peter Swinson wrote:

> The silver grains are embedded in the emulsion which is itself
> attached to
> the support. The grains are covered up by this emulsion, gelatin or
> similar, it is thin, easy to scratch but does protect the silver from
> the
> atmosphere. I am no expert on tape, but I believe the iron oxide, or
> whatever, sits on the tape surface rather than  buried in a thin
> protective
> covering.

I'm no expert on tape technology either, but I'm pretty sure that the
iron/chromium/barium ferrite etc oxide is contained in an emulsion with
the binding agent which is applied to the film/tape base much as in
silver halide film. I'm just guessing here, but it might be possible to
use the same kind of high quality base film for magnetic tape as we use
for silver halide film if one was prepared to trade weight and volume
for longevity.

> OK text could be called encryption, but our alphabet could be regarded
> as a
> base 26 digital code while other alphabets could be similarily
> attributed
> to another base with differernt digital ordering.

As written and spoken language are sometimes so different (and the
written rarely conveys accent and nuance well), we could consider the
written word a pretty lossy encoding scheme. And base 26? No allowance
for numerals or punctuation?? Lossy indeed! :-]

> As I said it was probably BRRE that statred me off!

Ahh, my head is likewise still mystified by the idiotically strong
cider I was persuaded to drink last night.

--
Adrian Thomas
AUTOMATIC TELEVISION