[Tig] MNR11 thanks

Dick Hobbs dick
Fri Mar 18 06:08:24 GMT 2005

Craig L may have had one too many cups of coffee, but you can understand
where he is coming from.

On the other hand, it is a fact of life that better stuff is always coming
along. You know that the instant you buy a new computer/car/telecine a new
model will be announced which is faster/cheaper/nicer shade of teal. Hell,
if I had just waited another month before buying my iPod, I could have had
one with U2's autographs on it. All right: maybe I have not had enough
coffee yet.

My main point, though, is that I am not convinced we are yet in a position
to say "software good, hardware bad". Certainly standard platforms are
getting faster, but hurling around advanced mathematics at 2k resolution is
still a bit of a challenge. The really smart manufacturers are the ones who
use standard platforms where they can and devote their R & D to developing
custom hardware when only that will do the job.

That is what I hope and expect to see at NAB. The other thing I expect to
see at NAB - and I am definitely with Craig here - is that products will be
either data-based or video-based, and if they are video-based they will do
everything from 480i to 1080/60p. Anyone who says you need this box for SD
and this different box for HD will be laughed off the show floor.

Dick

Dick Hobbs
Freelance writer and consultant on television and film technology
+44 1435 830988
Skype DickHobbs
dick at hobbsonline.tv